- Getting info about clip
- Process unknown URLs
Getting info about clip
To make proper choice of which media files to download, program needs quality details of available media files for the clip. More details it has - more precise choice it will make.
On the other hand more details it tries to retrieve - more time it will spend for analysis (and more data it will download and this stage, sometimes this is also important).
So this options group controls how precise analysis will be.
Use info from the clip page
At analysis will be used only the information directly available on the clip page, no video file analysis will be performed. This significantly speeds up the analysis meanwhile decreasing the accuracy of comparison of available videos.
As far as Youtube is concerned, video/audio quality info can be found out from the clip page (but the information obtained in such a way sometimes may little differ from the actual data).
Several other supported sites also provide more or less complete information about quality of available media files. Some sites have almost no details, except maybe duration.
and retrieve the clip file size
In addition to details retrieved from the clip page program will retrieve size of each available media file. It will use HTTP HEAD method so it is quite fast, no file data will be downloaded.
With this info it is possible to calculate files bitrate (since approximate duration is almost always known from the clip page) and make some assumptions about relative quality of media files.
and analyze part of the clip
In addition to the above methods fetch file data for each media file until get all quality details or limit of the part size will be reached.
Limit of the part size
Maximum amount of data to download at the media file analysis (per file, in kilobytes).
Here is some hints which could help you to chose the optimal limit value:
- if you want full information about the file then the limit should be at least at 300-500 KB level. You may do this also in case if you just want to download the best/smallest file without checking its quality, that's because the more information the program has the better choice it will make
- in some cases there can be files which are not well prepared i.e. it would need to download significant part or even whole file to retrieve its quality info. So setting the limit to large values does not always solve all the problems but at the same time this may slow down the analysis process
- if you are downloading the media from the site which does not contain formats information (i.e. without media files analysis you will see the list full of 'Unknown file' entries) and don't want to analyze files then you may set the limit to 1KB, which is enough to extract the media file type.
Amount of data that was downloaded at analysis can be viewed in details tooltip of qualities combo box.
Process unknown URLs
This option controls how to process URLs from unsupported sites.
When unchecked, program will resolve actual URL (if there are any redirects). If it points to supported site then will be performed standard analysis. Otherwise there will be shown an error stating that URL comes from unsupported site.
Now about what would be done when it is checked. After resolving actual URL next step depends on this URL:
- if it points to supported site then will be performed standard analysis
- if it points to some textual file (e.g. HTML page) then this file will be scanned for URLs to the clips from supported sites
- if the file has just one URL then will be initiated redirect to it and will be performed standard analysis
- if it has no supported URLs, analysis will end up with an error
- if URL points to some file other than text (e.g. to some binary file) then will be retrieved size and filename of this file and it will be available for download (i.e. program will work as regular file downloader)
Help Options Page analysis